Dogs of 9-11
Today marks the 10 year anniversary of the horrific attacks on America. Today, I honour all of those who have lost their lives and the families who grieve those losses; all of the First Responders who have succumbed to disease or are mamed from the aftermath they heroically responded to; or our soldiers lost in the wars which have followed it. This is the sadness of mankind of all nations: radical extremism.
Today, I also honour the Dogs of 9/11 — I was honoured to have worked with 5 of them and their stories are below. Just click their names to read more.
- Biscuit — a dog rescued from a top of the rubble, with his story of trying to find his man after they were separated when the first plane hit the first tower of WTC.
- Dui —a Bernise Mountain Dog who saw the attacks coming in the weeks before they happened.
- Gitander —a First Responder Search and Rescue Dog who was killed in the line of duty back in his home town after he had returned from NYC.
- Louise —who leapt out of her people's car in Manhattan in fear just after the attacks and found her way to the docks where she rode the ferry back and forth to NJ, comforting traumatized people while being comforted herself.
- Sirius —the only working K9 to die during the attacks when the first tower fell while he was in his kennel in the basement.